Sunday, February 04, 2007

Standard Games On FICS

I've finally started playing standard games on FICS, after endless procrastination. It's been a full year since I played a couple of them, in my 'chess infancy' around christmas 2005. It didn't go very well, and I never got rid of being provisional.

After a couple of miserable first games, during which I played just as if I had never seen a board before, I started to get used to the pace. I've been playing 30 30 games, which seems to be a good compromise between using the whole day to a game and blitz which is just too fast for me at this time. It feels very good, and finally feel like I can fully apply the skills I've acquired playing CC for a little over a year. Nothing like the humiliating implosive disasters my blitz games have been. Today I even got past the 1500 mark, although I'm still provisional. But the people & games I've played seem to indicate I should have no problems reaching 1600's. I'll try to keep playing a couple of 30 30 games every week, and we'll see just how it turns out.

And it's also really refreshing that games start & end in one session, compared to the weeks and months of correspondence chess. You also get a better feel for the game as a whole.


RHP: 1834, 217 games, wdl 144-11-62.
FICS standard: 1518p
FICS blitz: 1226

1 comment:

transformation said...

i totally concur. during not only a year, but years of training and study, if i played rapids, i would stop after. sometimes we fear success, not failure. that is what stopped me from wrestling competition years ago. of course, id resume those rapids.

now i play every day, or most days, with distinct pauses between, but, always resume.

for a LONG TIME i had this same reluctance to play. i understand from our conversations at RHP messages that you dont intend rapids or blitz but to graduate faster and faster to them, but, for me, after thousands now of rapid games, i am playing bullet.

it really helps me get over this fear. sometimes im beating folks 300+ elo to me and i think; "holy, &^$##*, i might win" but i dont want to think that.

i want to think, "i can win. i can do this. 'i have this guy'."

bottom line, i had this same reluctance for a long time, and after so many iterations at CTS or RHP (in your case), how much more prepared then prepared can be?

of course, there is a certain chess that cannot be analytically derived, cannot be CTS's or CT-Art3.0'd, cannot be endgame tablebased, cannot be fritzed, but, we must sit at the board and fight--fight alone.

chess is war.

"chess is mental torture", kasparov.