Thursday, February 08, 2007

CT-ART Level 20 Complete

After the initial enthiusiasm about CT-ART, I haven't been much on it. Today I just finished level 20 after a break, that makes it 396 problems solved. I've tried to do it only when I'm not tired, concentrating on exhaustive calculation, but even one tired session brings the success percentage down quite a lot. It's really hard to fight the natural laziness and jump the gun when you're tired. But I'll try to do better again on level 30.

first round:
level 10: 96%
level 20: 88%
rating: 2007

I've also looked into the basic endgame modules of Personal Chess Trainer, which seems quite nice. Of course the interface is crap as usual, and its inability to understand anything but the one pre-set 'correct line' annoys the hell out of me. But at least there's a nice set of basic endgame problems to drill and get the theoretical knowledge transformed into procedural knowledge.

Otherwise I've been playing 30 30 games on FICS almost every day. Mostly it's been going well, but yesterday I messed a game like a total idiot. First I declined material on the 10th move because I got greedy trying to pressure his king in the center, then got into trouble because of the previous retreat of the pinning g5-knight which gave him a pawnstorm. I was looking for the flashy win, of course, the cardinal sin in a winning position. Then a long period of adequate defending, only to succumb into a fork, only to insanely drop the queen right after. Although the end was humiliating, I'm even more pissed off about allowing that kingside pawn storm. My only hope is that the painful mistake will burn into my brain, never to be forgotten. Here's that miserable excuse for a game:

[White "wormstar"]
[Black "Versiano"]
[Result "0-1"]
[WhiteElo "1628"]
[BlackElo "1575"]

1. d4 Nf6 2. c4 e6 3. Nc3 g6 4. Bg5 Bg7 5. e4 d6 6. Qf3 Nc6 7. Rd1 h6 8.Bh4 g5 9. Bg3 Nd7 10. d5 Bxc3+ 11. bxc3 exd5 12. cxd5 Ne7 13. Bc4 Ng6 14.Bb3 b6 15. Ne2 Qe7 16. O-O Nc5 17. Rd4 h5 18. h3 g4 19. hxg4 Bxg4 20. Qe3 h4 21. Bh2 O-O-O 22. f3 Bd7 23. Ra1 h3 24. g3 Rdg8 25. Kf2 Ne5 26. Ke1 Qf6 27. Nf4 Kb7 28. Bc2 Qg5 29. a4 a5 30. Bd3 Nb3 31. Rb1 Nxd4 32. Qxd4 Nxf3+{wormstar resigns}0-1


Let that be a lesson for me.

3 comments:

bahus said...

6.Qf3

You know better than playing a move like this. Why not just 6.Bd3 or 6.Nf3. You want to castle in the kingside, if Black tries to delay his castling you can start action in the center once your king is safe. Many problems you have later in the game are due to this move (not being able to play Nf3).

In retrospect your opponent avoided playing in the center, developed slowly and frankly didn't do anything special. Had you just played normal developing moves, castled early and ripped the center open you'd probably won. The big wave, you know.

10.d5

I don't like this, you should play something like Qe3 and then Nf3 & Be2/Bd3. Playing d5 gives e5 and c5 squares to black knights (as it happens the knights occupy these outposts and ultimately fork first your rooks and then Q+K).

13.Bc4

Developing move but why not Bb5 and pin the king, bishop would be more active there.

17.Rd4

Definitely a poor square for this rook - on the other hand your knight would really like it here (eyeing on c6). Simple Bc2 would be ok but why not keep on developing your pieces - 17.Rfe1 looks good. If 17...Nxe4 18.Nd4 f5 19.Nxf5

30.Bd3??

Your only real mistake, losing to knight forks. This is a difficult position for White, material is even but Black has a clearly superior position. I can't see a knock out punch coming anytime soon so just improve your position little by little (maybe Rd1-Rb1).


- bahus

wormwood said...

thanks for analysing. yeah, I have now excuses or even clues why I played like I did. the Qf3.. well, I thought I could ram it in at some point, and the later Bc4 instead of the pinning was for the same reason.

I missed why d5 didn't work (exd5 cxd4 Nd4 threatening Q), but so did he playing Bxc3+ which pretty much loses. not a valid reason to play d5 though...

17.Rd4, I missed the queen getting pinned after black takes the pawn, so I thought protecting e4-pawn was forced. why not Bc2? well it was the same stupid plan as for Qf3 & not taking QxBc3, don't know why I was so fixated with it.

30.Bd3 was one of those unfortunate idiotic moves I tend to make in blitz, think less than second, and realize the for immeadiately when dropping the piece down to the board. I think I was probably trying to induce some desperate counter play, as I knew there was no way in hell he would've let me take that passed h-pawn without giving material, and without counter attack that pawn would finish me at some point.

what horrible playing. :-( I wonder how much time I used on the moves? I remember taking time once I was already in trouble, but I have a bad feeling I made most of those bad moves very very quickly. "never do bad moves quickly." funny how often I manage to forget that.

transformation said...

wonderfull post. it will be wonderfull to see you not only traveling, but arriving, assuredly as you will soon. dk

PS: i have 'automatic' set, already, at IE 'temporary internet settings' so not the source of the problem. but thank you for the assistance.