Sunday, January 21, 2007

1805 On Red Hot Pawn

Wupee! Finally there. Well, at least for a while. No doubt I'll fall back under 1800 soon, but the first time you break an even hundred is always a cause for celebration. The mental barrier has been broken, and now I'll just have to establish my rating above 1800 for good. It took me 1½ years, 202 rated CC games and 73 882 problems on CTS to get there. It's time to set the sights for 1900.

CTS has been going extremely well also, after I stopped daily training. During the last two weeks I've hit another bumb, and risen up to around 1630 (1639). I think it's because I've been at it really hard the last six months, averaging at about 200-300 problems a day, so now that I've taken it easy I'm more alert and less exhausted.

I've been slacking a bit with CT-ART, mainly because I don't want to do it tired. I would just start guessing, which is the exact opposite of what I'm trying to gain from it. Which is exhaustive and complete calculation training. But I'll get back to it as soon as I feel more alert.

RHP: 1805, 202 games, wdl 134-11-61.
CTS: 1621 (1639), 73 931 problems, 77.7%

6 comments:

Temposchlucker said...

Congratulations.
Impressive figures! What's your age? (have to find a reason why I am not going so fast:)

wormwood said...

thanks. I'm 32. so I have about 3 years to max out before the theoretical downhill starts. :P (well, I don't really recognize such 'glass ceilings'.)

I believe CC + tactics give you a solid frame to work with. they complement each other perfectly, one develops board vision, the other strategical thinking. and it's absolutely great for studying openings. the downside is you don't develop calculation skills, of which I'm the perfect example. but I'm hoping CT-ART and 15min blitz will improve that area...

Nezha said...

So it was you.. the third top-ranked player on CTS:

> wormwood 73,972 78%

wormwood said...

yep, I'm wormstar here & fics, and wormwood at cts, chessprob.com & rhp.

Christian said...

Congrats Worm! I just have read your december posts and I am happy to tell you that I also do KBN vs K these days. I find this much better than the visual drills that MDLM suggested in his two articles. KBN vs. K is far less than trivial if your goal is to find the optimal way. I have discovered several interesting things, I am going to post about it later in my blog.

bahus said...

Congrats!

You've making impressive progress. With your determination 1900RHP is definitely not out of the question (although the 1800-people seem to be a lot harder to beat than 1700-people on RHP).

- bahus