Friday, August 18, 2006

Learning The Wrong Patterns

Just back from the chess tactics salt mines. Had a relatively good day ratingwise, a little bit worse getting problems right. Somewhere during a marathon session, one thing started to bother me. The problems I get wrong: -It seems I'm having pretty strong recollections of the wrong way of solving familiar problems that I've failed before. And because the time is scarce, I often jump and do the wrong move. And of course, in the fraction of a second after I see the frowning smilie, I remember "oh yes, that was the wrong solution."

I'm thinking maybe I should run through the failed ones more than once after a session. Maybe even three times, to make certain that the right pattern leaves stronger memory imprintation than the wrong one.

CTS: 1544, 52814, 77.5%, 33f/183 = 82.0%

2 comments:

transformation said...

dear worm, i really, really value your words. this is a really, really astute comment. since i am so fusy, in a way, i log out and log back into cts, so as to be able to start a new clean set of 30 or now, more often than not, 40 problems, so that i can measure in sets of small sets of eight. now i am reconsidering this, so i can not only review immediately my failed problem, but to do it two or three times, as you very smartly suggest. i'd stay on to see all 100 or 120 or 150 or 80 problems, then repeat failed problems all together. i never considered that.

of course, i ALWAYS REVIEW, but only once during the session in recent months.

i am thinking that you Fins must be really, really smart persons. please do not object to my word choice! my oldest friend tom is a fin, and is called Thin Fins, as i have told you.

i have not been hiking in a year, and on my day off, tomorrow, take the Moldavian lady up a small mountain (have to see how this goes!), and my head is feeling way better, so back to CTS with great appreciation last night.

warmly, david

wormwood said...

well, we do have the best education system in the world, at least according to the PISA study. :) but people are probably the same everywhere...

good to hear you're ok and back at the salt mines of CTS. :) and I hope the 'moldavian adventure' goes well too.