Monday, December 18, 2006

CT-ART 3.0 And A Status Summary

I finally got CT-ART, and have been starting with the level 10 problems. As usual with any chess programs, the interface is quite amateurish and has a lot of room for improvement. But I'm getting used to it, and I guess it gets the job done... The problems are quite easy, of course, but I've still managed to get 2 wrong from the first 79. I'm going to concentrate on calculation with them, an area that I'm having serious problems with, despite the extensive drilling on CTS.

I also ordered Karsten Müller's endgame dvds 1&3, and will start drilling them as soon as they'll arrive. I'm also continuing the daily dose of blitz, and hopefully get the hang of it at some point. Now, I just keep doing ridiculous mistakes I didn't even think I was capable of anymore, and the embarrassing rating in the 1100's descibe exactly how much I suck at blitz. In CC I got swindled out of about 40 points by a 1900-2000 rated guy who mass resigned around 100 games at once, leaving me with a whopping 10 points for the two games I won against him. I would've hit 1800 otherwise, but the 40 missed points combined with a typical missplayed ending against a 1600 have dropped me back down to 1735. Well, live & learn.


CT-ART update:
day 1: level 10: 96%, level 20: 90% 61/286 done.

3 comments:

transformation said...

after i finish this last big push at CTS for 98.00% as dogWaste and 1570 in my regular ID, i plan to continue at level 4, or around problem 720, as i recall, at CTA3 in 2007 after surgery on my elbow a week from today ('ulnar neuropathy' or ulnar nerve: worn from R mouse hand. fortunately, i decided early on to only use my R for the mouse, since im L handed).

believe me, the problems get a LOT tougher, as you already know.

my approach is not 'hope chess', but, when stuck, really calculate all the variations even if it takes a long time. i love CTA3 but, cannot take it for weeks straight, but do an hour or 0:45 a day, or two sessions, am and pm, then have to back off after a few weeks.

i believe that CTA3 when done correctly is draining, and to click when we cannot find the answer is wrong... i don't want to memorize 1200 tactics, but to go throught the hard process of calculating them, especially the levels 4-9.

greetings from seattle. how does the long finish winter? i must say, the women from the north, appear... so... :)

david

wormwood said...

warm and no snow. it might be a black christmas this time...

I've already noticed how exhausting ct-art can be. I got actual headache from a 30 problem set I did the other day. It's almost unbearable at times, but I'm using as long as it takes to calculate all the variations and check everything. the total opposite of CTS. I hope I don't pop an aneyrysm. :)

I hope your surgery goes well, and I'm sure it will. it sounds like the actual nerve is still in good shape, the pressure just inhibits its normal function. and even though the surgery will cause some swelling which might even worsen the symptoms for a short while, it should be perfectly okay once the pressure on the nerve decreases. but I'm sure your doc has already told you all this. worry not, soon your hand will be as good as new. :)

transformation said...

my utmost support: take twice as long, if needed, to do a circle. but dont rush cta, especially the first time. quite the oppossite of michael demazla, we DON"T want to remember the solutions, but to EXPERIENCE the process of arduous calculation.

those who rush the circles there are totally ignorant. of course, the caviate is hours and hours at cts, wiht a timer, so cta3 slowly is a nemesis, or salutary contr-indicated method, to provide balance, such as slow to fast chess, endings to intricate tacitical foreys, prep to gambits, etc. to throw ones forces 180 degrees and view reality at a new angle, and the freshness thereof.

'real chess' is slow and calculating, where GM's can take 30 min easily at a key move.

so somehow all these crazed kids will see some sudden benefit to 4,000 blitz 3/0 games that they have never reviewed??

thanks for all your support on nerve. i now can start my car ignition with my R hand! easily. i stretch daily. i have a doctors note, no heavy lifting at work, so they are being very supportive (remember, i work in building materials retail).

congrats on 1800 rhp. impressive. ive visited you there, and flicked a dozen or few games, first 15 moves, to see how you approach openings.

how do you manage to do it all?? sincere question. plus beer, and finish women to make sure their specific needs are met??

and graphic design, and northern winters?

warmly, david