Monday, October 15, 2007

1650 On CTS At 90% Success Rate

After eight months, I'm finally back where I was prior to my latest increase in accuracy. I've hit 1650 a couple of times during the last two weeks, but it has been with the cost of session accuracy so I haven't counted those times. Today was the first time I managed it with a 90%+ session average, or 93.5% to be exact. The average has been around 90% though.

Also, as the problem set jumps to 100 points tougher at 1650, it's been very hard to keep up the 'winning strikes' going after 1650+. It definitely requires some extra effort (meaning more solving time), so I don't think I'll be going much higher anytime soon.

Although I have been doing only a fraction of the daily amount of problems compared to the less accurate 80% sessions period before, I've still been more or less consistent with the practice. Can't say whether it has made much difference on my blitz, as I haven't really been playing it for a couple of months. But I've finally got my RHP gameload down to 16 games, and am starting to have some energy to start blitz again. After a couple of days it's obvious that my blitz openings are very rusty, but otherwise it felt pretty good. Yesterday I scored about 8/10 wins in 5 0, so I'm quite hopeful that things will pick up once I get back up to speed.


CTS: 1650, 78.9%, 95415 tries, 93.5% session.

7 comments:

Jussi Linkola said...

I must admire your dedication...

wormwood said...

thanks. persistence is everything if you want to get good at anything...

Unknown said...

that is awesome. you clearly are learning, it's becoming part of you. i seem to be going down, i can't break the 72% correct margin...

wormwood said...

I've had at least 60 pt down swings many times, think nothing of them. just keep going and it'll all come back soon enought.

and in case you wan't to increase the percentage, there's only one way to make significant progress: ignore rating and force yourself to NOT move until you're sure. no small adjustments or 'just trying to focus more' will be enough. it's like losing weight or stopping smoking: you need to adapt a whole new approach to life to make it, a fundamental change. and it will induce discomfort. there's no real change without sacrifice, no free lunch.

transformation said...

'the death knell; at CTS comments?

have you ever noticed, how if anyone makes a fairly penultimate or perhaps cannonical comment at CTS how silence follows for days?

i was honestly [in reply to waaek] and simply trying once and for all to write a good text on calculating percentage at CTS from the point of view of an unknown value, and now there is deafening silence from everyone.

in a way, it is a compliment, as i am pushing the edge of what is possible there, of course, by all means i am not the first, but 97% is very rare. im back at a low difficulty level now, but believe you me, once in fifty it is so EASY to make a mistake however simply, 'thinking you know!'

at the same time, i have done thousands there above 1400 and 1500...

i call it the CTS devil. he shows up, and whispers in my ear: 'dont go slow, you know the answer... i was going for 200 in a row or two wrong in 500 or such, when i had two wrong in 15 or so, damn...

no matter how easy, this devil is there, always!

wormwood said...

well, sometimes there's just nothing more to say. when you post something like that, people will look at it and think "well, okay, that's how it's done. now I know." and continue to other things.

I know all about the rhp devil, it's a tricky demon. and there's also its cousin, the "once more" devil which makes you continue until you fail. 37 in a row today, but its just almost impossible to stop with that neat 20/20 record, and the devil made me do it until I failed.

I try not to concern myself too much with such things though, just put my head down and keep pedaling. numbers are not important, the training is. keep your eyes on the prize.

transformation said...

i find a very great correlation between success in live play and a steady diet of CTS followed by blitz. they go well together.

mind you, i can do CTS to exclusion of much else save my usual 25 classic GM games per week, BUT when playing blitz, it is much better to do some CTS followed by some blitz instead of just jumping right in... as you well know. but they compliment each other so well.

even better, is working with fritz in classics, then CTS, then blitz, that is my ideal and i get pretty close to that. after 1700+ games since july, i get a break again, and it is study only--for now.

then the push to 1600 in blitz.

dk